Dear MIS families,
You have heard on local news channels that the Dallas County Health Department is reporting very high influenza activity throughout the Dallas/Forth Worth area. As expected during this time of year, we have noticed several confirmed cases among MIS students—but nowhere near the amount of absences felt in those schools/districts that have made the news. This is due in part to asking our janitorial company to do in-depth wipe-downs of surfaces and handles, and having teachers to do end-of-day surface cleaning as well.
At MIS we are being proactive and diligent in our efforts to reduce illness transmission through the following recommendations, and you are urged to do the same at home:
- Use hand sanitizer or wash hands before going to lunch.
- Use hand sanitizer or wash hands after coughing, sneezing, and blowing nose.
- Wash hands with soap after using the bathroom.
- Use cough and sneeze etiquette by covering nose and mouth with a tissue when sneezing or coughing, or to sneeze or cough into sleeve if a tissue is not available.
- Students use only pens/pencils/crayons from their own school supply.
- Stay home with the following symptoms; fever with a sore throat and/or cough, body aches, fatigue.
- Any students with a fever (temperature 100 degrees or more) may not return to school until fever free without the use of fever-reducing medicine for 24 hours.
- Everyone receive the seasonal flu vaccine as soon as possible.
- Students change out of their school uniform upon arrival home to be laundered each day.
- Students who participate in athletics to launder practice and game clothes after each wearing
Thank you for your attention to this and promoting good health at MIS!
Nurse Sandra Schluterman, RN, BSN
Mary Immaculate School Nurse